Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 4: You ARE Called

I don't have a lot of time to write a long post, because I'm about to leave for Tulsa to go with my sweet friend Rachel to try on wedding dresses :)!! So excited for her and Jordan! But there's something that has been on my heart recently that I just wanted to share really quickly.

Everyone who I've talked to about my passion for putting an end to human trafficking has been so, so supportive. When I started my Tread On Trafficking campaign for Love146, you all doubled the goal of $500 I had set in less than 48 hours. That blessed me more than you know! And I know it is going to have a huge impact on the children at the Love146 home and those who are still in slavery. For those of you who aren't sure what I'm talking about, here is the link to the Love146 page (please take a look at this if you haven't already) and to my donation page.





In addition to a lot of support and encouragement, the main response I have gotten from people is, "I think it is really neat that the Lord has called you to that. It's not my calling, though." I can definitely appreciate that everyone has different passions and purposes. That's what makes us the body of Christ.
But I have a hard time believing that anyone is not called to this cause in any way at all. One of my favorite passages in scripture is Isaiah 58, mostly because that's the chapter that the Lord used to confirm all three of my younger siblings adoptions. Now it has even more meaning to me, though.

"Is this not the kind of fasting I have chosen: 
to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free and remove the chains that bind them?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to give home to the orphan-
when you see the naked to clothe him, and not to turn away fro your own flesh and blood?"
Isaiah 58:6-7

Setting the oppressed free and loosing the chains of injustice is something we have ALL been called to. There are an estimated 27 MILLION people in slavery in our world today, half of whom are children!! Even if you are called to simply support through your finances or you decided to take on the super important role of praying for the organizations who are actively involved in setting these people free, find a way to get involved. You don't have to quit your job and move overseas to be a part of ending human trafficking...but you do have to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment